The refugee crisis facing Europe is said to be the biggest population movement since the Second World War. Large charities have launched nationwide appeals for help and many grass roots organisations are delivering aid to those near our UK borders.
How should we respond when we read facts like these:
- Over 2700 people have died trying to cross the Mediterranean so far this year
- At least 40% of Syria’s population have been displaced from their homes – approximately 7.6 million people.
- Approximately 2.2 million Iraqi citizens were displaced from their homes in 2014.
- One in 122 people is displaced
Like me, you are probably stirred to respond, but perhaps not sure where to start. Here is some advice to get started:
1) Visit the latest JubileePlus blog for advice on responding locally and internationally.
2) Pray: a consistent message from all those involved at a church and charity level directly is to pray. This is not mere sentiment but our most powerful intervention. Tearfund have a prayer guide to help you individually or in small groups.
3) Find out more and get involved. Ask your church leader what you are doing as a church. There are things you can do at home as well as contribute to efforts overseas.
If your church is responding please let us know. We'd love to hear what you are doing.